Why should I visit a fertility clinic?
If any of the following apply to you, it may be time to visit a fertility clinic (find a fertility clinic near you):
- you are under 35 years old and have not been able to get pregnant after 12 months of regular, unprotected intercourse
- you are over 35 years old and have not been able to get pregnant after 6 months of regular, unprotected intercourse
If you are having difficulty conceiving, a fertility clinic can help you find out the reason for your fertility problems and offer treatment options.
How do I choose the fertility clinic that's right for me?
Choosing a fertility clinic is a very personal decision. Here are a few things to consider when making your choice:
- Choose a clinic that's conveniently located: Check out websites such as Fertility Match to find fertility clinics in your area. Some provinces have their own registry of clinics that offer publicly funded services.
- Check the success rates: Visit the clinic's website or contact the clinic to learn about their success rates (chances of becoming pregnant). Keep in mind that success rates can depend on many factors including your age, your reason for infertility and the type of fertility treatment used.
- Contact clinic patients: To get a feeling for what it is like to be a patient at the clinic, reach out to others who have been through treatment at the clinic. You can find them through infertility support groups or blogs. Remember that everyone's experience is different, so try to contact more than one person.
- "Interview" a few clinics: Contact the clinics to find out which services, support, procedures, and payment options they offer.
- Take a field trip: Once you've narrowed down your choice to a few clinics, visit them in person to get a "gut feeling" for the clinic. Does it seem clean and organized? Do you feel comfortable and welcome?
Learn more about finding the right fertility clinic for you.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2022. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/Fertility-Clinic-FAQ