Insuring a healthy and safe trip

If you plan to travel outside Canada, you should get the best medical insurance you can afford – hospitalization or medical treatment can be very expensive. Canadian provincial medical insurance rarely covers the full cost and does not pay up front.

Check with your provincial health authority

For people travelling outside Canada, provincial health plans cover only emergency health services given in connection with an acute, unexpected illness or injury requiring immediate or emergency treatment. Be aware that Canadian health insurance will only cover the amount that the medical service would cost in Canada – if it costs more in the country you're visiting, you'll be responsible for paying the rest.

Buy private insurance

When you're buying private travel health insurance, be sure to ask whether your policy:

  • has an in-house worldwide, multilingual emergency hotline
  • provides for your medical evacuation (or any required medical escort) to the nearest place with proper medical care or to Canada
  • pays for the preparation and return to Canada of your remains should you die while travelling
  • covers the countries or regions you plan to visit

Carry details of your insurance with you. Also, tell your travel agent, a friend or a relative at home, and your travelling companion how to contact your insurer. If you get medical treatment when you are abroad, make sure you have all the paperwork and invoices for your reimbursement claim – most insurance companies will not accept copies or faxes. Keep copies for yourself!

Find out about the risks and where to go for help

Foreign Affairs Canada produces Country Reports that outline reported risks or concerns for Canadians visiting different countries, available at

When you travel abroad, make sure you know the location of the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. The Consular Affairs Bureau provides information and assistance services to Canadians living and travelling abroad. The Operations Centre of Foreign Affairs Canada operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is available to respond to emergency calls from anywhere in the world.

Foreign Affairs Canada offers a registration service for Canadians travelling and residing in a foreign country. This service allows the government to contact and assist you in an emergency, such as a natural disaster or family emergency at home, while you are in a foreign country. Canadians can register at

Did you forget anything? Here is a quick checklist of things to do before you go:

  • Check for any travel health advisories.
  • Get travel medical insurance – understand what it includes (your private health insurance may also cover travel).
  • Write down the emergency numbers you might need (e.g., Canadian consulate/embassy, insurance, credit card).
  • Pack any medications you need in your carry-on luggage, and bring extra in case you lose them.
  • Visit a travel clinic at least six weeks before leaving.
  • Buy alcohol-based sanitized wipes to keep wherever you go.
  • You should see your doctor if the following happens to you:
    • you were ill or felt unwell during your trip
    • become ill or feel unwell after you've returned from your trip

And remember, have a safe and enjoyable trip! Bon voyage!

All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2022. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: